Monday, January 16, 2012

Shame based marketing

About a week ago, I was helping my mother un-decorate our christmas tree.  Okay, More like I was doing the undecorating while she handed me what she could from her arm chair and watched TV.  Now I don't really watch TV (at all), but I am not entirely opposed to an episode or two of the Flying Nun or episodes of How it's Made or things like that.  However what I AM opposed to is shame based marketing.

"But Mel," you may ask, "what do you mean?"  Well.  It's both simple and infuriating.  Not only is it that, but it is harmful.  Perhaps it is just words, but when I see stuff marketed, especially to fat people like me, as 'guilt-free', I want to punch somebody in the face, and then possibly cut out my stomach because clearly food is bad and why is this organ wanting it so much?

To be honest folks, I've hit a point where I resent that.  I resent being told I am terrible for wanting food, and I am sick of food having a moral value.  I am MORE than sick of people trying to control me.  Part of the reason I do not watch television is because watching it means being constantly exposed to this shit and I just will not have it. 

"But that's just running away from the problem!"  right?  Perhaps it is just running away.  But if it's what I need to do to ensure I actually stand a chance of eating, that I don't just lose all desire to put something, anything in my body?  I'll take it.  Besides there's nothing I'm really missing. 

Don't get me wrong folks.  I have nothign wrong with things being advertised as fat-free and sugar-free.  We eat a lot of those in my house, being that my father is both diabetic and has a heart condition now.  Those descriptors don't bother me in the slightest.  It is when people apply moralistic rhetoric to what should be simple choices about nutrition that drives me up a wall. 

Fat is an adjective, and also a noun.  It is a perfectly normal word.  And yet at every turn people such as myself are told to not use it, to sue words like chunky, fluffy, pudgy.  Screw that.  I am 5'6, 385 pounds.  I.  am.  Fat.

And I am TIRED of being shamed.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to find you not only reading my blog getting to learn more about you... Your right TV gives so many mixed messages that it can drive a sane person round the bend. I too do not watch much and NEVER believe what they are pushing. I am here for you and believe in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm flattered that you decided to read my blog! I've actually been following you for a while, I just am hard pressed to comment at times... And only recently got a blogger. I'm not so surprised it's this one that you responded to though. My other one is mostly creative writing and such... though this one is more inclined to feature foul language... when I have the energy! Anyway, glad to have you aboard :)

      Delete