Friday, June 29, 2012

Boredom

Since I seem to have turned into a trend of self reflection, I thought I would share another little tidbit -

I don't really get bored anymore.  Not even when doing things that are 'boring', like sitting through a lecture I'm disinterested in.   About the only time I do is when the regional manager is in our office, because then I can't pull out my kindle, or my knitting, and have to watch what I do on the computer.  It's not that I don't have work to do, but at the time he is in the office... I don't have work to do.  My work mostly happens post 5 PM.

Other than that though... boredom just doesn't happen.  Even when I'm basically just lying in my room doing nothing... there isn't boredom there.  It's more of just a state of restfulness.  I don't feel a need to be in constant motion (or so it feels.).  Beside this - I have more than enough to occupy my mind that the boredness that plagued me through middle and high school... it's gone.  I do too much.  I knit, crochet, program, write, and especially worldbuild.

It almost feels like I've grown up a bit.

Almost.

I'm not going to delude myself by thinking I am superbly mature.

Perhaps I am just lucky that most of my hobbies are things I can do unobtrusively and nearly anywhere.  I think it's mostly though that I've finally figured out that thing about constant motion.  It's okay to rest.  It's okay to not be turned on all of the time.  It's okay to want peace and quiet, or just to listen to the sound of the rain for a while.

There is value in action, but necessity also in inaction.  It partially makes me want to get away from home for a week, alone, and just do nothing... or just do whatever my whims take me to do.  Likely that would be sleep a lot - at least initially.  Perhaps walk a lot to help me sleep a lot.  I don't really know.

But it just feels weird, not knowing that boredom I knew for so long... and I don't know when it left, either.  A lot of changes are like that - you don't notice them happening until BOOM.  You've changed.

This, at least, I think is a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment